Did you know that 75 percent of women color their hair? It’s true what they say: we want what we don’t have. In some cases that goes beyond the typical blonde-brunette-redhead palette. The top color trends for 2014 illustrate this nicely.
- Dip-Dye: This is a style where just the ends are dyed, and the rest of the hair is left its natural color. Although you might think of this as a more youthful look, we’re seeing older women rock it, too.
- Ombre: An ongoing favorite, thanks to its popularity on the red carpet. Ombre is a color gradient. Brunette roots to blond tips is the most popular, but it can be done with any color.
- Bold Brights: Pop star Rihanna is a great example of this trend, but it’s really everywhere. From bright solids to pastel washes; streaks to under-color, you don’t have to be afraid to make a statement.
- Balayage: Also known as “hair painting,” a thick textured dye is used to highlight hair exactly as the sun would hit it. It’s a very subtle effect, and it can look particularly good on blondes (which are otherwise hard to highlight).
If none of these untraditional looks appeal to you, don’t worry: there are still trends within natural hair shades that you can adopt. What’s burning up the runways this year?
- Platinum Blonde: Blonde is always popular, but we’re at a point in the cycle where the warm honey tones are fading away, and being replaced with icier shades.
- Vivacious Redheads: Rose gold isn’t just big in jewelry! Gold-toned auburn is definitely trendy, but if you were a brunette to begin with, look into deep red velvet colours. Anyone can wear red, you just have to find your shade! (That’s as true for hair color as it is for lipstick.)
- Gracious Brunettes: The Duchess of Cambridge is responsible for this sudden embracing of brown locks. Rich chestnut shades are the color of choice, although many people are getting caramel highlights.
- Beautiful Bronde: This is a neologism for “brown blonde.” Boring? We don’t think so. It’s not a show-stopper like many other colors, but it’s the perfect backdrop for a beautiful face and beaming smile.
If you’re dying to dye, come into Salon Antoine. We’ve been named one of the top Northern Virginia hair salons by NOVA Magazine. Make your appointment today and see why!